Sunday, 7 February 2010

Albino squirrel makes an appearance in Ramsgate


Today like many other Sundays myself and Ian decided to go for a walk to clear out the cobwebs from the previous nights shenanigans. We took the usual route heading towards the western under cliff. The roads were quiet and we were the only people about so we had the pavements to ourselves (always handy when you have a buggy!) As we approached St Augustines abbey Ian stopped dead in his tracks and told me to "look over there". At first it was hard to work out what I was supposed to be looking at and then it moved. A pure white squirrel was just happily perched on the wall. Now dont get me wrong we have both seen squirrels before and they are animals that usually do not excite me but this seemed like a very rare sight. Luckily for us I carry my camera everywhere I go and this was the ideal photo opportunity. Amazingly the animal remained still enough for me to take quite a few photos. After the third or fourth picture he seemed to have had enough of the paparazzi and scurried off up the nearby tree. As this seemed like a rare breed I googled the animal when we got home and was surprised to discover that they are in fact very rare. Apparently they were originally seen rarely in Surrey and sightings are few and far between. This therefore impressed me and I can now say that I have seen a rare animal!

2 comments:

  1. that Squirrel brightened up a dull day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen an albino squirrel so well done for this picture Hannah.

    Glad to see you're keeping up with the blogging, and also got your first real comment (from Don).

    ReplyDelete